Cosmos Bank will never send e-mails that ask for confidential information. If you receive an e-mail requesting your Internet Banking details like your PIN, password, account number, you should not respond.
Delete suspicious e-mails without opening them. If you happen to open them, do not click any link or attachment they may contain.
To secure your computer, read our "Computer Safety Tips".
To know about e-mail related frauds and tips to protect yourself from frauds, read “Phishing” and "Money Mule" from Safety and Security/Overview section.
Internet Browsing Safety Tips
Watch your click:
You must observe click discipline while browsing through different websites. You may land up clicking on to malicious link that could download malicious code / software or virus on to your computer.
Do not download software from non trustworthy sites:
Downloading software from non-trustworthy sites may lead to infecting your computer with virus. Users should particularly be careful of downloading freeware which may have Trojans installed that would transmit your confidential information to a hacker or fraudster without your knowledge.
ATM/Debit Card Safety Tips
Tips To Remember When You Receive The Card
- Always keep your card in a safe place, just as you would take care of cash and cheque books
- Sign in the signature panel on your ATM/debit card(s) as soon as you receive it
- Never write down your PIN (personal identification number) anywhere. Memorize it
- If you receive a replacement card, be sure to destroy your old card by cutting it into four and discard the pieces
Tips To Remember When Transacting At The ATM
- Ensure that no one sees you enter your PIN (personal identification number)
- Never allow a stranger to assist you while using an ATM
- After completing your transaction, secure your card and cash immediately. Always count your cash before leaving the ATM area and not outside it
- Do not leave your transaction record at the ATM. Shred it before discarding it
- Change your ATM PIN frequently, at least once a month
Tips To Remember When Using Your Debit Card For Shopping
- Use your card with merchants that you know and can trust. Never allow the shopkeeper to take your card to a different shop/room for swiping it
- Make sure that your debit card is returned to you after completing a purchase; and be sure that the card that has been returned is your own
- After a purchase, always take your charge slip(s) with you and tear up any carbon copies
- Check receipts against your monthly billing statements to verify your card transactions. Report any unauthorized transaction(s) immediately
- Check your charge slips against your monthly account statements to verify your card transactions
- Once you have reconciled your account statements, tear up all charge slips and discard them
PIN and Password Safety Tips
- Destroy the PIN mailer after memorising the PIN and/ or change the PIN after the first usage
- Never keep your PIN and ATM card /debit card /credit card together
- Password Safety
- Your password should be complex and difficult for others to guess. Use letters, numbers and special characters [such as !, @, #, $, %, ^, *, (, )] in your passwords
- Don't use passwords that are obvious, like your name/nickname, names of your family members, your address, phone number, or any other information that a thief might find in your purse or wallet
- Do not use the same password as the one which you use to log in to your computer or access your e-mail
- If your log-in IDs or passwords appear automatically on the sign-in page of a secure web site, you should disable the auto-complete function to increase the security of your information. To disable the "Auto Complete" function
- a. Open Internet Explorer and click on "Tools">>"Internet Options">>"Content"
- b. Under "Personal Information", click on "Auto Complete"
- c. Uncheck "User names and passwords on forms" and click on "Clear Passwords"
- d. Click "OK"
- Change your Internet Banking password (both, log-in password and transaction password) after your first log-in, and thereafter regularly (at least once a month)
- Create and maintain different passwords for log-ins and transactions. This provides additional security for financial transactions through Internet Banking
- If you have more than one Internet Banking user ID, use a different password for each of them. You may also view all your accounts with Cosmos Bank under a single user ID by linking your various accounts to your preferred Internet Banking user ID
- If you access any website (including cosmosbank.com) from a cyber-cafe, any shared computer or a computer other than your own, change your passwords after such use in your own computer at your workplace or at home. It is very important to do so specially when you have entered your transaction password in such a cyber- cafe computer or shared computer
- Never share your passwords with others, including family members. Do not disclose your Internet Banking password to anybody, not even to a Cosmos Bank employee
Cheque Book Safety Tips
- Record all details of cheques issued
- Do not leave your cheque book unattended. Always keep it in a safe place, under lock and key
- Whenever you receive your cheque book, please count the number of cheque leaves in it. If there is a discrepancy, bring it to the notice of the Bank immediately
Tips To Fill A Cheque Leaf Correctly
- Do not sign blank cheques. Always fill in the date, the name of the receiver and the amount before signing the cheque
- Remember to cross your cheque whenever applicable and prevent it from being misused
- Always draw a line through any unused space
- Never sign in multiple places unless authenticating a change
- Avoid using cheques with changes on them. Issue a new cheque if possible
- When you cancel a cheque, mutilate the MICR band and write "CANCEL" across the face of the cheque
- Do not write (or sign or mark or pin or staple or paste or fold) on the MICR band
Cyber Cafe Security
- If you are accessing any website (including Cosmos.com) from cyber cafe, any shared computer or from a computer other than that of your own, please change your passwords after such use from your own PC at workplace or at home.It is very important to do so especially when you have entered your transaction password from such shared computer or cyber cafe computer. Change these Passwords from your own PC at workplace or at house.